AAC Academy Interest Meetings
Thank you for your interest in the AAC Academy!
If you are interested in applying for the AAC Academy, please plan to attend an online AAC Academy Interest Meeting. In these meetings Dr. Hartwig will review the AAC Academy certification process and answer questions you have about the program.
The 2022-2023 AAC Interest Meetings will be held on:
- November 13, 2022, 5:00-6:00p CST
- December 4, 2022, 5:00-6:00p CST
- January 8, 2023, 5:00-6:00p CST
- February 5, 2023, 5:00-6:00p CST
- March 5, 2023, 5:00-6:00p CST
Click here to register for an AAC Academy Interest Meeting
Prior to applying to the AAC Academy, make sure you have met or are working toward the eligibility requirements below. There are some of the eligibility requirements for the program:
- You must have a potential animal partner who is at least one-year-old, in good health, and has been cleared by a veterinarian.
- For applicants with canine partners, you and your dog need to have obtained a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Certification prior to the beginning of the AAC Academy. You can find CGC Evaluators by going to the AKC Approved CGC Evaluators website. Start working on this prerequisite before you apply - ideally in the fall or early spring of the year before you apply. You will be asked to upload a copy of the certificate on the application, if you already have it. If you are working toward your CGC, please note that you can apply for the AAC Academy but cannot register for the Intermediate Methods in AAC training until you have met this requirement.
- You must be willing to commit to all three intensive trainings. While you do not have to complete all three intensives in one year, you should strive to complete all requirements within a two-year time frame. Texas State University will only endorse participants to do AAC work when all AAC Academy certification requirements are met.
Applications will be accepted from February 1 to April 30 each year. Dr. Hartwig will review all applications and notify applicants of the decision during the first week of May.
To reserve your spot, you must pay the rates in full by the due dates listed on the Schedule & Rates page. If you do not pay by the due date, your will lose your spot and another applicant will be given the opportunity to participate in the program. Due to limited space, applicants who are not accepted into the program this year can apply next year for the AAC Academy.
Prior to Completing the AAC Academy Application
Please plan on at least 30 to 45 minutes to complete this application. You will need the following items to complete this application:
- A photo of you and your animal partner (we will use this photo to welcome and announce the new cohort, so make sure it's a good photo of you and your animal),
- Professional liability insurance (for the practitioner, because you will be working with clients; what you currently use for work/private practice),
- Letter of consent, if your animal partner belongs to someone else,
- Rabies certificate, and
- Canine Good Citizen Certificate, if you have already completed this prerequisite.
AAC Academy Application
Applications are now closed. You can apply to the next AAC Academy cohort between February 1st and April 30th prior to the summer cohort.